A Snapshot of Corruption in Germany
The German country profile provides an analysis of how corruption affects Germany's political environment and business climate. This country profile contains detailed descriptions of the country's efforts in curbing corruption, corruption-related legislation, risk-prone sectors and industries and more. The General Information chapter provides an overview of anti-corruption activities and corruption risks in relation Germany's political, business and regulatory environments. The government has aimed at containing corruption by enacting laws and enforcing integrity systems. Companies doing business in Germany should be aware of the following developments:
- According to TRACE’s Global Enforcement Reports from 2011 and 2012, Germany is among the top enforcers of foreign bribery laws. Efforts in this area have increased in recent years and have resulted in a significant number of prosecutions and sanctions imposed in foreign bribery-related cases.
- In mid-2013, the German Parliament passed a bill raising sanctions against companies involves in bribery offences.
- Despite significant international criticism, Germany has not yet ratified United Nations’ Convention Against Corruption nor the Council of Europe’s civil and criminal law conventions, and it has not yet established legal protection for private sector whistleblowers.
- According to Transparency International, bribery in relation to winning public contracts is the most common form of corruption in the German private sector.
- Various forms of corruption are found to be particularly prevalent in Germany’s medical and health care industries.
Detailed descriptions of the level of corruption in a number of sectors are outlined in the profile's Corruption Levels. For a more detailed analysis of government, media and civil society anti-corruption activities, visit the Public Anti-Corruption Initiatives and Private Anti-Corruption Initiatives chapters.
Germany Corruption News
Publication date: December 2013
Data verified by GAN Integrity Solutions